It served to connect the cities of New Orleans and Kenner. It was aligned along the present course of Jefferson Highway, which was improved from earlier roads. For many years the area remained rural farmland, until the post-World War II suburbanization era.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of, of which is land and (2.82%) is water. The city of Wright is located entirely within Lakeview Township geographically but is a separate entity.
Quaker Hartshorne Fitz Randolph purchased Jackson’s property and annexed to his own existing property, which would later become part of Randolph Township. Dover was incorporated as a town on April 1, 1869, within Randolph Township and became fully independent as of March 5, 1896.
The house was built during the Revolutionary War with some sections completed in 1825. The museum houses Civil War memorabilia, a children’s school room and a library. Weathersfield School District serves Weathersfield.
Following the economic difficulties of the war, the residents of Taylorsville focused their energies on expanding railroads to boost the economy. The Danville and New River Railroad was chartered in 1873, with the line completed to Martinsville, Virginia in nearby Henry County by 1881.
Despite the efforts of five fire departments (including Concrete, Burlington, Sedro-Woolley and two rural fire districts), the building was a total loss. Not able to enter the intensely heated building, the firefighters could only contain the fire within the concrete exterior walls in order to keep it from spreading to the adjacent buildings and trees.